Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Saying Goodbye or just See You Later?

Lara must escape from captivity
Lara Crane's journey is coming to a close.

Not yet, but soon enough. I'm 50,000 words into her final book. Detached. A story about moving on when everyone around you can't. When you're pursed by the government and those that are afraid of you. How can you live any sort of a life when everyone you know fears you?

I've written it in 12 days so you could say it's going well, but how do you say good-bye to an old friend?

Lara's been feisty and a handful. She never does what even I expect she'll do and she's my creation, but she's been through a lot and it's time for that final page to close. I love her like she's real, almost like she's my kid. I cheer for her. Sometimes I tear up for her (just a little!)

She's deeply personal to me because every part of her rebellious, spirited nature comes from me. All me. Even though 98% of the time I don't act on it. Lara does because she has nothing to lose.

And that too, that deep longing to connect with her mom. Her parents. Protect it all, on a base level comes from me. Only she's able to go after it in ways I can't.

So it'll be a sad good-bye. How do you say good-bye to your favorite characters you've read about? Is it enough to close the book? Or do you have to start over at the beginning again to help you process that grief?

No comments:

Post a Comment