Monday, April 13, 2015

First World Problems....Vacations

Weekends...They're Great right?

But this weekend got me thinking. We went to the Great Wolf Lodge in Fitchburg, which is a great place. We played arcade games, went on water slides, ate great food, play more games, ate some more and my young daughter had the pedicure pamper treatment of the world.

She even got to wear a crown, bathe in vanilla fizzies, and wear a pink Princess sash.

But the thing about it, that got me thinking, was (beside the price) how confined we were. No matter what we did we didn't have to go outside and experience nature.

(Not even mini golf)

No nature. Nothing real. Everything manufactured.

We went from one activity to the next herded like cattle. And like that cattle we happily went with one food establishment to the next.

Burgers, Pizza, alcohol yes please, cupcakes, fudge, Mexican Buffet night, donuts, breakfast, ice cream....

To be honest, I kinda felt like a passenger of the ship on Wall-E (extra points for anyone who remembers the name of the ship!)

The sights the smells, we were surrounded by it all. And hundreds of people (1202 at max capacity) doing the exact same thing we were. Together but alone, there was nothing about the process that felt like...well, community. I felt isolated not from other people, who surrounded us, but the entire place was a #firstWorldProblem hashtag.

$45 pedicures
$18 dinner Buffets
$12 refillable soda bucket, the thing is huge.

While I know this place was fun, my daughter will remember it probably forever and it's definitely not something we do every day, I felt like we were cut off from what is really important. Dropping $700 in a weekend, well maybe we could do something better with our money on a weekly basis so when these events happen, I wouldn't feel so guilty.

And yes, we probably will be back next year because it WAS so much fun. But if I feel this guilty about the Great Wolf Lodge, how is DisneyWorld going to make me feel?

What do you think? Our First World vacations a problem, or is it okay because we work so hard the rest of the time?

No comments:

Post a Comment